Thai Golden Cups (Kra-Thong-Thong) is one of the easiest appetizers I have made and very popular not only back in Thailand but popular as an entrée with Thai restaurants throughout the world – Warattaya Smith of @loveslittlekitchen
- Rice flour 3/4 cup
- All Purpose flour 1/3 cup
- Corn starch 1 tbsp
- Egg yolk 1
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut milk 1 cup
- Lime water 4 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Mix all flour and starch ingredients in a mixing bowl and add corn starch, sugar, salt, egg yolk, lime water and gradually stir in coconut milk.
- Continue stirring until mixture is consistent and when you are happy pour through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot and place your moulds inside to heat as well. (your mixture will stay on a hot mould when dipping better than a cool one)
- When ready dip your mould into the mixture and fry in the pot moving about so it can work its way off. Keep the mould near the top of the oil as you move about and as it’s starting to come away from the mould I like to touch the mould to the bottom as I find that flattens any bubbles that form at the mould bass.
- Fry until golden and place onto paper towels to dry.(Sometimes a wood skewer is handy to help remove the cup from mould)
- TIP: Stir the flower mix each time you dip with your mould as this will help stick.
- Chopped chicken ¾ cup
- Green curry paste 1 tbsp
- Carrots, peas, corn. 1 cup mixed
- Coconut milk ½ cup (Just use as much as you feel you need)
- Palm sugar ½ tsp (add as little or as much as you like)
- Fish sauce ½ tsp (add as little or as much as you like)
- Basil chopped 1/3 cup
- In pan low heat stir a little coconut milk with green curry paste
- Add chopped chicken and stir with your coconut green curry until cooked and starting to dry
- Add some more coconut milk then carrot, pea’s, corn and stir well.
- Add palm sugar and fish sauce. Don’t cook vegetables too long as you want to retain their fresh crispiness and colours.
- Place your cooked filling into a serving bowl ready to add to your golden cups.
- TIP: Best to add filling just before eating as it can make crispy cup soggy if left too long.
- TIP: If using another day place both in a separate sealed container’s.