My mum often made Khao Khluk Kapi either as a family lunch or for guests as it is served with many sides or toppings… The crispiness of the sliced cucumber or green mango mixed with the pork and sausage and other sides gives a wonderful array of flavours and textures that is grounded by the shrimp paste fried rice – Warattaya Smith @loveslittlekitchen
Living in Bangkok I would often get khao khluk kapi at the market where it can be found in a box with the fried rice in the middle and the sides surrounding it.
The crispiness of the sliced cucumber or green mango mixed with the pork and sausage and other sides gives a wonderful array of flavours and textures that is grounded by the shrimp paste fried rice.
Tip: Start slow with the shrimp paste as it can be rather strong if too much is added and you’re not used to it.
For Sweet Pork
- 200gm Pork Belly
- 300gm Pork Shoulder
- 75 gm Palm Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 11/2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 70 gm Shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 Garlic Gloves
- 3 Coriander Root
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
For Shrimp Paste Fried Rice
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 1 tbsp Shrimp Paste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Pieces Chinese Sausage
- 3 Shallots
- 1/3 Cup Small Fried Shrimp (washed and dried)
- 10 Fresh Chilli’s
- ½ Lime
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Green Mango
- 1/4 Cup Green Beans
- 1 Cucumber
For Fried Rice
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat, then add shrimp paste to fried.
- Add rice, mix well, then set aside.
For Side Dishes
- Break eggs and beat well
- Add 1/2 Tsp oil to pan over high heat and roll around to coat well.
- When pan is hot, pour eggs into pan and quickly tilt around until egg coats entire surface of pan. Cook until edges of egg start to peel off easily.
- Roll egg out of pan, and cut into shreds (julienne style). Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in pan over medium heat.
- When hot, fry dried shrimp.
- Remove shrimp from pan and put on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Set aside.
- Cut sausage diagonally into inch-long pieces.
- Over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp oil in pan.
- When hot, fry sausages until just starting to turn brown, then put on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Peel shallots, take stems off chilis, then wash them thoroughly with water.
- Slice shallots thinly and chop chilis into small pieces.
- Wash green mango and beans well. Peel off the green mango skin and slice thinly.
- Wash, peel, and cut cucumber into diagonal pieces. Wash and cut edges off green beans, then chop into small pieces. Set aside vegetables.
For Sweet Pork
- Wash pork belly and pork shoulder thoroughly. Cut into small, thin pieces.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Fry shallots garlic cloves and coriander root.
- In same oil, add pork. Cook pork for a few minutes, Add the seasoning sauces dark soy sauce, soy sauce, and fish sauce then add water and wait until it boils.
- When pork starts to become soft and liquid is reduced by half, add palm sugar. Mix and stir until palm sugar dissolves and becomes dry, brown, and sticky, then allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Carefully arrange all components on a large plate then serve.