Wings are many people’s favorite! In this article, I would like to introduce you to Thai style chicken wings. Thai style chicken wings are usually crispy, lightly coated with flour and sauce.
Through my experience, there are three different styles of wings that I have had, Thai, Korean, and American. Each style has their own signature. Thai chicken wings are not heavy on the sauce. We focus on flavor when marinating. The coating flour is thin. When served, we dip wings (or other kinds of fried chicken) with sweet chili sauce. Korean chicken wings have more variations on their sauce. The famous sauce is gochujang sauce. The sauce is spicy, tangy, and sweet. American chicken wings are well known for their sauce as well. American wings are breaded, crispy, and saucy. The most well-known sauce is buffalo sauce.
Every holiday, my family has a tradition that we will have a big meal together. Chicken wings are the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about something both adults and children could enjoy. And for that reason, one of the traditional dishes is crispy chicken wings. It can be an appetizer or a main dish for Thai, especially for the kids.
For this recipe, fish sauce is a significant ingredient. We need a good quality fish sauce to make this dish perfect. When we buy fish sauce, we look for a clear brown-reddish color. There should not be sediment sitting at the bottom. We also can test it on a hot pan, a drop should smell like burnt fish if it is made from real fish and salt. I try to select a trusted brand like Megachef. Their fish sauce has a good salty taste, not too salty. Too much saltiness, which could happen with old or bad quality fish sauce, could overwhelm the other flavors and affect the color of your food.
- 8 wings
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 4 tbsp tempura flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 chopped green onion
- Clean chicken wings and dry them with a paper towel. Season the wings in a bowl with the fish sauce and pepper.
- Use a fork to continually poke the wings for 5 minutes to help the marinade go into the wings.
- Add the tempura flour to the bowl. Mix them well until all coated evenly.
- Prepare the oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot and ready, put the wings in the pan and don’t stir.
- After about 7 minutes, check the wings, turn them over to the other side when the color turns light brown. Cook until the wings turn golden brown on both sides. Rest the wings on the rack
- For the sauce, add fish sauce, palm sugar, and water in a saucepan. On low heat, stir the mixture until it gets thicker. Keep stirring otherwise the sauce will get burned.
- When the sauce is thickened, drizzle the sauce on the wings. Garnish with green onion and toasted white sesame seeds.
Article and cooking VDO by
All photos Copyright 2023 Premmarin Milindasuta All Rights Reserved