This dish is among the most famous rice dishes available from street vendors in Thailand. Outside Thailand I have seen the dish more frequently in Lao restaurants than in Thai restaurants. Many people consider the dish as an appetiser, but for me it could also be the perfect main dish – Charinya of @charinyas_kitchen
Ingredients for rice balls (makes 12 rice balls)
1. Combine rice, shredded coconut, red curry paste, fish sauce, kafir lime leaves and 1 egg. Gently mix through, and then roll mixture into golf ball size.
2. In a small bowl combine rice flour and water and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat an egg and set aside
3. Heat the oil in a frying pot. Dip the rice balls into the rice flour mixture and then dip in the beaten egg. Deep fry until golden and crunchy.
- 3 crispy rice balls
- ¼ cup fermented pork
- ¼ cup pork skin
- ½ tbsp. fish sauce, to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice, to taste
- Fried dry chilli, as desire
- Chili powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- ¼ cup fried peanuts
- Fresh vegetable to serve
1. Break crispy rice fermented pork, dried chili into small pieces.
2. Season with the fish sauce, lime juice.
3. Add spring onions, coriander, ginger, shallots fried peanuts and fried dried chilli.
Serve in lettuce cups or on betel leaves and with peanuts and deep fried chilies.