Ingredients for chicken broth and rice for 5 serves
- Chicken thigh 4 kg
- Chicken carcass 1
- Jasmine rice 1 kg, old crop is preferable
- Glutinous rice 200g
- Ginger 8 slices
- Garlic 7-8 cloves
- Pepper 1 tsp
- Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- Salt ½ tsp
- Soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Coriander roots 3-4
- White radish or wombok 1
- Shitake mushroom 100 g
- Cucumber 2
- Coriander and spring onion to garnish
Ingredient for dipping sauce for 5 serves
- Raw sugar 2 tbsp
- Sweet soy sauce 6 tbsp
- Crushed garlic 3 tbsp
- Crushed Bird-eye chili 2 tbsp
- Soybean sauce 6 tbsp
- Coriander roots 1 tbsp
- White vinegar 2 tbsp or ground chili in vinegar
- Lime 1 tbsp
- Water ½ cup
How to make chicken broth and poached chicken thighs
- Boil 2 litres of water. Add garlic, chopped white radish or wombok, peppers, coriander roots and chicken carcass in a pot
- Bring to the boil, add slices of shitake mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 mins
- Place chicken thighs into the pot and cook through. The chicken thigh will absorb the flavour from the soup.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the pot and dip in iced-cold water to keep it tender and juicy.
- Lay chicken thighs on a tray and apply olive oil on the chicken to keep it moist
- After preparing poached chicken thighs, use a ladle to take some floating oil out of the stock and flavour stock with salt, soy sauce and pepper
- Add chopped spring onions and coriander to garnish
How to prepare fatty rice
- Mix 1 cup of glutinous rice with 5 cups of jasmine rice and then rinse the rice with water
- Slice 8 pieces of ginger and crush 7-8 garlic cloves
- Add a bit of vegetable oil into the pan, then fry garlic and ginger until they are aromatic. Add mixed rice into the pan. Mix in chicken oil collected from chicken stock.
- Season rice with a bit of salt and sugar. Stir fry until the grains turn dull and stick to the pan.
- Put fried ginger, garlic and mixed rice grains into rice cooker and use chicken stock to cook rice. The level of chicken stock should be around 2 cm above the rice.
Tips: glutinous rice will help to reduce some moisture and prevented cooked rice from sticking together. If you don’t have glutinous rice, it’s also fine to use just old crop jasmine rice.
How to make dipping sauce
- Add soybean sauce, raw sugar, ground ginger, ground coriander roots, crushed garlic, crushed bird-eye chili and ground chili in vinegar or vinegar with sweet soy sauce into the blender
- Blend all ingredients together. If it’s too thick, add chicken stock or some water
- Pour mixed ingredients into the pot and use low heat to combine
- Try the sauce to see if it is well balance with a hint of ginger and then squeeze a slice of lime
- Add some minced ginger and chili to suit your taste